Meade DS-2114 ATS-TC

Meade DS-2114 ATS-TC
My Starter Scope:Meade DS-2114 ATS-TC

Eyepiece Kit

Eyepiece Kit
Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit - 1.25 Inch Format

Sunday, March 9, 2008

NexImage (Usage and Limitations)

Let me preface this by stating simply that my knowledge of photography doesn't go much further than Polaroids, or simple digital cameras. I have very little to no understanding of
F stops, focal ratios or any of those smart, cool things that I read about on some of the Astrophotography sites online. This said I am sure I would be having much more fun with this CCD camera if I did understand photography itself a little better. Out of the the box this seems like a neat little device. It fits 1.25" my focuser and is threaded to accept 1.25" filters. My first experience in using this product was a little confusing because the software it came with isn't the most user friendly for a complete novice. It comes with one capture program called AmCap and a stacking program called Registax. Now from what I have read in other blogs and forums these are NOT very popular programs and many people have had considerable difficulty with them. The idea is that AmCap will capture images and save the video stream as an .AVI. Then Registax will break down the .AVI into individual frames, remove blurred frames, and stack the remaining frames based around a focal point chosen by the user. Now in my case I do not have multiple scopes, just my DS-2114. It is very hard for me to bring an object into view of the camera just using the computer screen alone. What I first try to do is get a good wide angle view through a lens, remove that lens and insert the CCD. Sometimes this works immediately, other times it doesn't. For example I was able to bring Saturn into view the other evening on my first try. However by the time I had the camera focused to the point that I wanted to start capturing Saturn had already moved on me, I had bumped the scope several times, and needless to say although it may have been operator error, I was never able to find Saturn again on screen. Now I could have removed the CCD and started over, but by this time I was cold, frustrated, and ended up calling it a night. I guess my point is that the NexImage CCD is a decent Lunar, Planetary imaging device. It's just more complicated that they make it sound on the advertisements. Also, if you are going to purchase ths product, make sure to by the cheap plastic focal reducer. I didn't have the forsight to do so and realized the need for it while trying to capture the lunar eclipse a few weeks ago. The camera itself will only fit about half the moon in the field of view. What this little plastic piece does from what I can deduct is set the camera further back from the scope having the effect of making larger objects fit in the FOV. If I had it to do over again I would spend the extra cash and try the Meade DSI2. Although quite a bit more expensive than the NexImage I believe it is a far superior product just on the basis that it is a Meade product, which I love. It also has adjustable shutter speed for longer exposures which the NexImage does NOT (without modifications). The NexImage even when pointed at a reletively bright object such as Sirius, or M45 shows only a dark screen. Regardless of the adjustments I have made I can not image a single star in the sky, any DSOs, or pretty much anything but Luner and Planetary objects. I don't recomend this product for anyone with any ambition of Astrophotography unless the Moon is all you are interested in. For an extra hunderd dollers or so you would do much better and have a much more enjoyable time with the DSI2. Sorry Celestron.

No comments: